Growing Thai Limes from Seed

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Tracy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Tracy

Tracy Member

Hi All

After a few visits to Thailand, I fell in love with Thai Limes, not kaffir limes but the small limes with the thin skin that they use as a garnish. The juice also tastes great squeezed over food. I found the seeds at www.simply-thai.com and had them post me a few. I am now ready to germinate the seeds but have no idea where to begin. Simply Thai suggested growing them in peat moss which you cannot get in South Africa anymore for some strange reason.

My question is whether I can germinate the seeds in wet cotton-wool and where do I go from there? It is almost spring in SA and I presume that this would be the best time to germinate the seeds.

In terms of fruit, do you need male and female plants or do all the plants bear fruit?

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks!

Tracy

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

You can simply germinate them between two pieces of damp paper toweling. Place the toweling in a plastic bag and store in a warm location 80 - 90F (27 to 32C). They should germinate in 14 - 21 days. Then transplant into a small container, and place in a sunny location. Water the seedlings only in the morning, to lower any chance of stem rot due to Rhizoctonia. Limes are self fertile, therefore they do not require cross pollination. It also helps if you first soak the seeds over night in a cup of water. - Millet

3. Tracy

Tracy Member

Thank you very much for explaining this so simply for me Millet. I have been afraid of germinating the seeds incase I get it all wrong and I only have a few of them. I will be sure to give this a try!

4. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

Hello Tacy,
    Thai limes are like camquats from Florida and calamansi from Philippines.
    At first it is very hard to grow, but once it stared to grow,
    I'll become a nice tree.
    I believed it gives many fruits.
    Enjoy your thai lime tree.
    Homestaymom

5. Tracy

Tracy Member

Thank you Homestaymom, I look forward to a flourishing tree!