Growing Pandan Leaves indoors

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marie dudin, Nov 12, 2008.

1. marie dudin

marie dudin Member

I was recently told you can grow pandan leaves here in zone 8 and over-winter the plants indoors. These are leaves used in Thai & other asian cooking - and apparently nothing like fresh....

I thins it is Pandanus utilis.

I am wondering where I might purchase plants & if anyone has experience growing them?

2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Marie,
    If you know where to find one, please let me know. I like to get one too. I used to have one. It grew well for about five years (indoor on the osuth window) until it got too big. I decided to divide it and pass some to other people but unfortunately the original and all the suckers died on me. I'm not sure of its technical name although I think it's Pandanus odorata.
    Some Oriental groceries here sell fresh panadan. So each time I hit Chinatown, I checked each bag thoroughly hoping to find a stem but all I found so far were leaves without stem.
    Peace
    Thean

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Junglekeeper,
    Thanks for the infor. In Malaysia we call it daun pandan and it is used in many recipes instead of vanilla.
    Peace
    Thean

5. tropicalfruit

tropicalfruit Member

Pandanus amaryllifolius A healthy plant growing rapidly in the Summer heat and planted in a 60/40 peat/perlite bagged mix; it is being fertilized with Osmocote triple 13 and bi-weekly supplements of a soluble triple 20 fertilizer. They are hardy to USDA zone 9, but do best when protected from temperatures much below 40F. Pandan is a steady, if not rapid, grower and will soon reach a height of 3' with a mature height of as much as 6' and will produce a numerous offshoots.