Growing moss

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by tgplp, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Hi all!
    I heard that if you blend moss and yogurt in a blender and then spread the yogurt/moss on a rock, moss will grow there. Is this true? Any tips?
    Thanks for any help!
    ~tgplp

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

The yogurt will keep it moist, and mildly acid. Some people use beer for the same reason. You will need to keep this in at least part shade.

This site has links to other interesting moss paintings, plus pics and comments on different methods.

And this is Instructables on moss painting.

3. Turfnur

Turfnur Member

I Found this on the net, hope it works for you.
    How to grow moss on your garden pottery, clay, terra cotta, concrete or hypertufa planters and the like is not at all difficult. You'll see by the following concoctions that all ingredients are readily available and the process is quite simple.

Basic Recipe and Guidelines
    Nice Looking Moss On Your Garden Planters Takes A LONG Time To Grow
    Repeat these steps for each of the liquid ingredients listed:
    1. Gather a clump of moss (remove as much dirt from the moss as possible).
    2. Add moss into a blender (a good ratio is 1 part moss to 4 parts liquid).
    3. Add LIQUID INGREDIENT (see options listed below). **You only need to use enough to allow the blender to blend everything. It should end up as a very thick "soup".
    4. Blend thoroughly to pulverize the moss.
    5. Spread the soupy mixture onto your object with a brush wherever you want the moss to grow. Or use your hands to "pat-pat" the gloppy mixture onto your container. I think the hand technique is the easiest and works great! ;-)
    Liquid Ingredient Options
    • One can of beer + 1 tsp - 2 tsp sugar: or
    • 1 cup buttermilk; or
    • 1 cup yogurt
    Moss "Accelerant" Recipe ... Maybe, Maybe Not
    I've seen mention over the years where gardeners have been successful at accelerating the growth of moss by using a blend of honey and vinegar. As I have not personally tried this one, I will assume that the ratio of honey is much less than the vinegar. All I can say is experiment and see what happens, if you are so inclined.

4. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Great, thanks both of you! I'll try the yogurt/moss thing, and see if it works!
    ~tgplp