Propagation: Growing Mahaleb Cherry from Seed

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Steve Wieden, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Steve Wieden

Steve Wieden Member

Hello,
    I have twenty Mahaleb Cherry tree seeds and I was wondering if I was doing this correctly. I was thinking of soaking the seeds over night in water, and then place them in a bag with peat moss in the fridge for 110-120 days at 40* F. Then taking them out and placing them in a warm sunny spot and see what happens. And thoughts, experience, etc.? I was wanting to use the seedling as rootstock for tart cherry trees.

Thank You,
    Stephen

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Active Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

There's plenty of information on the Internet regarding germinating Prunus mahaleb seed. I Googled "prunus mahaleb stratification" (without the quotes). It looks like you're on the right track. Cold, moist stratification: 100 days at 35 to 41 degrees F.

3. Steve Wieden

Steve Wieden Member

Thank You. I had done a search but couldn't really find any step by step instructions by someone who had done is successfully. Then just yesterday i did some more searching and found what i needed. Thank you again!