growing indoor plants without soil

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by maxmillan, Jul 29, 2011.

1. maxmillan

maxmillan Member

I want to propagate my spider plants, peace lily and snake plant into glass containers but with no soil. I've seen displays of these plants in stores.

I don't want to deal with gnats, soil, etc. I'm trying to minimize molds and insects due to my health. I was planning to use pebbles purchased from a landscape store.

Is Vancouver tap water good enough? Do I need to add nutrient to the water? What other care for soil-free plants should I consider?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

This article has some good basic information:

http://www.essortment.com/growing-houseplants-water-53551.html

I recently potted a sansevieria that had been happily growing in water for a couple of years.
    I say---give it a go!

Here is a page on Spathiphyllum from the truly awesome site, Exotic Rainforest. It will be of interest to you, as it explains the liking these plants have for water---this fact illustrated with a photo of a thriving group growing in a aquarium!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Spathiphyllum Clevelandii pc.htm

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Togata!
    Thank you for the above info. Now I am sorely tempted to get rid of dirt and go to water. At least then I can see what's going on down-under.
    The main deterrent is cats dumping planters and teenagers wrestling. Dirt is easier to clean up than water or maybe it's a toss up? ;)) barb

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I'd say toss-up! Especially great is when a lovely glass vase of rooted cuttings gets knocked over...right on some electronic device.
    Ah, and teenagers...

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Togata,
    You do have a point. Crash, splash, fizzle, and the lights go out! Teenage grandchildren? We won't even go there! barb

6. maxmillan

maxmillan Member

Thanks so much for the links. This is very helpful.