Growing food indoors

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by MackenzieCreek, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MackenzieCreek

MackenzieCreek New Member

Hi! I am brand new to this forum but not to gardening. However I would love to be growing some edible plants on my window ledge this time of year. What edible plants are suggested for indoor growing? I have a bright southern window ledge but an over hanging roof that blocks some light but it has direct sun light a couple hours a day. I am already growing sprouts and micro greens. Is it the right time of year to start fruit trees or other seedlings? (I have started tomatoes and peppers before but not this early).
    Anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts, happy gardening.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe you'll get a better response in the Fruit and Veggie Gardening forum instead of Indoor Plants, so I've moved the thread there.

Most fruit trees will be grown vegetatively (e.g., from grafts), for a host of reasons including disease-resistant rootstock and true-to-parent fruit production and taste.

Farmfolk / Cityfolk has a small section on indoor gardening with food plants to get you started. The article also references some books.

Farm Folk City Folk

3. MackenzieCreek

MackenzieCreek New Member

Thank you, I was wondering which spot would be best.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Herbs are a good choice for windows, just because you normally don't need a large crop. Basil really works well in a south facing window.

MackenzieCreek likes this.