Growing citrus in the cold

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by mea08mw, Mar 4, 2019.

1. mea08mw

mea08mw New Member

Hi,
    I live in england, I'm interested in any information people have about how a citrus tree would behave in our cold climate if it were just left to grow outside. From what I understand it will not bear any fruit but would it live at all or woud it just die? I'm only interested in the leaves.
    Thanks for your help
    Mike

2. Will B

Will B Member

There are a number of different climate zones in the UK, but in at least some of them you should be able to grow the more cold hardy citrus outdoors without issue. The hardiest I know of are the trifoliate orange and the yuzu. I grow citrus primarily in a cool greenhouse (minimal heating) on Vancouver Island, BC, but have a trifoliate orange flying dragon growing outdoors without issue. Some others can be grown outdoor with fruit with mild protection. I have put up some pages on growing citrus here: Growing Citrus on Vancouver Island | Aprici

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Contributor 10 Years

You may want to check out the discussions in this external forum: Cold Hardy Citrus.

4. mea08mw

mea08mw New Member

Thanks for your help, I'll look into them

5. Michigander

Michigander Member

'Flying Dragon', Poncirus trifoliata 'contorted' is striking, smallish, and nearly evergreen to USA zone 7.
    Plant it near a sidewalk, or front door, or a prominent spot where it can be seen up-close.