Growing Blue Spruce from cone seeds

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by ddahmer, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ddahmer

ddahmer Member

Hi,
    I have been trying since late July to grow spruce from seed and really need some help.
    I have planted about 5 flats and have had success with about 15 plants, but they seem to last about 2 weeks then they droop over and die. I am using Miracle grow potting mix 0.14-0.14-0.14 and have been treating the soil with damp off, but still no sucess with keeping them alive. They are kept in my basement apartment which is a little cool but not cold and they sit in the window that gets light but not a lot of sun. Can anyone offer me any advice how to keep these little trees alive.
    ddahmer

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

There are several factors conspiring against you. The spruce seeds really need to be started in a faster draining mix. The Miracle Gro will retain too much water for the developing seedlings. Try a mix specific to cacti. The cactus mix will also be lower in nutrients, a good thing as the spruce seedlings don't require a rich soil at that early a stage in their growth. Finally, growing them indoors, with no air circulation and no direct sun (or very bright light) can also promote damp-off. Get a fan and provide some air circulation.

Finally, I'd wait until April to try the next batch of seedlings. It will be easier to simulate spring & summer conditions in spring & summer....the spruce will be seasonally aligned as well.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The high nutrient content of the fertilized planting mix might be killing them, they might not be getting enough light, maybe they are even picking up mites which are sucking them dry. Somebody who could actually examine the failing plants and the growing environment would be in a much better position to advise.

A friend who grows quantities of conifer seedlings to sell starts them in a bark and sand mix.

4. ddahmer

ddahmer Member

Thank you for your response, this is all new to me. I thought that the cones drop from the trees in late summer early fall. Where would you get the seeds in early spring??? Once they are planted how often should they be watered? Should I still treat the soil with damp off or exclude this step all together?
    ddahmer

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

Seeds do drop from the cones this time of year but don't germinate until spring. Collect your seeds in the fall & store dry in the fridge over winter (they don't require a stratification period). Plant when ready in the spring in a lean fast draining potting mix (cactus mix). Water enough to keep moist but not wet & if you're growing inside, lots of light and some air movement. You really should try to place them outside (when temperature allows) as much as possible in partial shade.

Blue Spruce Silviculture

6. ddahmer

ddahmer Member

Thank you, this is all very helpful to me.
    ddahmer