Ground covers for Xeriscape

Discussion in 'Gardening for Water Conservation' started by lorax, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rafaeltec

rafaeltec Member

I live in the scorching desert of Baja California, Mexico and I have found my groundcovers in what americans refer to as "ice plants" ironically. These are mostly mesemb succulents which include the genera Carpobrotus, Delosperma, Malephora, some Cheiridopsis, some Ruschias among others. Some of these tolerate heat and drought better than others of course, but they're all worth it. Thay have the added of exuberant flower bursts in springtime, and some year round.

Another surprising groundcover is Lantana camara. The more water you give it the better it looks but it can make due with as little as one irrigation every 4 or 5 days once established.

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

A good deal of the arid US west is affected by soil salinity, which has a lot to do with what grows there. Saltbushes are aptly named.

3. gardenart

gardenart Member

Salinity is not a problem here in Northern California. But are you suggesting salt bushes or stating they do well. What do they look like, what are the pros and cons?