Greenhouse cleaner and moss prevention

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vancook604, Mar 5, 2010.

1. vancook604

vancook604 Member

Hi everyone
    I recently took ownership of my neighbours old edenlite aluminum and glass greenhouse. I spent all of yesterday taking the glass panes out and carefully carrying the frame down the alley to my back yard.
    There's is alot of moss build up and mildew. My question is what products would any of your recommend to clean the frame and glass? Are there any products that will deter moss growth? Also a cleaner that won't damage the rubber/plastic stripping the glass sits on? Does anyone know any local businesses that sell Edenlite products?
    I know those are alot of questions, appreciate any info.
    thanks

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi vancook, this company lists food plant safe cleaners http://industrial.pacechem.com/page121.htm I've used the Albrite aluminum cleaner successfully, looks near new, but don't know how it would affect rubber or plastic. A zinc strip placed lengthways along the roof ridge cap should deter exterior moss growth and should be available at a hardware store.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  3. vancook604

vancook604 Member

thank you very much for the reply.
    one new question, is there any shops in vancouver or the lower mainland that sells green houses or green house supplies? I'm looking for some replacement glass panes and some clips that hold the glass in place.
    thank you

4. chimera

There is B.C. Greenhouse Builders www.bcgreenhouses.com . There are different manufacturing methods of attaching the glass though. Might be worth checking the Yellow Pages, a google search, or www.mytelus.com/phonebook/display.do for local greenhouse supplies to find Edenlite products. Would be interested in hearing how you make out with the replacement glass.

5. vancook604

vancook604 Member

I spoke the BCgreenhouses.com and they told me they have the glazing clips and the other clips to hold the glass. As for replacement glass all they need is measurements and thickness to cut me some replacement panes. Hoping the glass doesn't cost me too much, but I need 3 panes for sure. There was broken glass installed before I took them all out.
    I'm currently digging out a section in my backyard to fill in with some well fertilized soil. I can't wait to start growing in there.

6. chimera

Thank you, 3 panes isn't too bad I guess, nice they had the clips.

7. goodjane

goodjane New Member

Good morning
    I just bought an Edenlite greenhouse (25 years old) It is in great shape but I would like to replace to rubber seal, and also need a few clips. Any ideas there?
    Also curious how you did your foundation, we are brainstorming ideas and would like to raise the greenhouse, but not sure about stepping over the aluminum frame.
    Many thanks