Green Maple dying in Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Sue 54241 WI, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Sue 54241 WI

Sue 54241 WI Member

I don't know what type of green maple I have here in Two Rivers WI (near Green Bay and Milwaukee WI, on the shores of Lake Michigan one of the Great Lakes) but 5 yrs ago we had some contruction work done on our home which required heavy equipment in our backyard along with a hole dug near to the roots of our (3 trees, 2 green, 1 red 14 yrs old at that time) We also had the electrical wires buried which, I think when they dug the trench it was approx. 12-13' away (on the edge of the canopy)

In the last 5 yrs (since the start of the construction) 1 of the trees (the one near the lines buried and more heavy equipment) has not only been losing its leaves, but there are more branches on the ground after a strong wind than the other 2 trees. The leaves became less and less each year and they are getting much smaller.

I can provide photo if this will help.

We have other neighbors with Green or Red maples on each side of us. One neighbor 2 houses down the street has the same situation starting with his green maple. A local greenhouse told us that they've seen that this is common in our area, but they don't think the trees are dying.

If they're not dying? What can I do to improve this situation. We'd hate to lose this 19 yr old tree, or others in our yard.

Sincerely,
    Sue

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

This sounds like a situation where you should probably call in a professional arborist to advise you.

From the sound of things, it does seem likely that the tree suffered fairly serious root damage. But it may also be suffering from some other problem -- it would be hard to tell just from photographs.

3. Sue 54241 WI

Sue 54241 WI Member

Kaspian,

I appreciate your advice. I will check into this and hope that I find someone locally who is qualified to give us a sound answer to this perplexing concern.

Sincerely,
    Sue