"Green Cutleaf Maple" from OSH

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ColbyTrio, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

Hello again.

I just purchased a tiny little one gal. maple from Orchard Supplu Hardware here in Nor Cal. It was labled a "Green Cutleaf Maple". It has yet to leaf out but by the looks of things they should be breaking through any day.

The picture shows a small green lace leaf maple the grows low to the ground. The description says that it can get 10'x10'.

Has anyone ever heard of this cultivar?

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The tag is not specific for a particular variety. "Green Cutleaf Maple" is meant to designate a generic or unidentified green dissectum. It could be any known or named green dissectum or a seedling thereof.

The size is a generic description and it should have characteristics standard for varieties sold as Waterfall or Viridis, two named varieties or groups of green dissectums sold frequently in the nursery trade.

I like the idea of generally grouping the green dissectums when they are sold mass market or for landscape plantings. It implies you should expect a yellow to medium green dissectum that will likely achieve some combination of yellow and orange in the fall. It should make a good landscape plant. They do this with red dissectums also.

It will be exciting to see what you get once it leafs out. Best of luck.

3. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

I agree with Micheal that it could be any of a number of similar cultivars, but most likely 'Viridis' or 'Waterfall'. Some mixup even occurs in the industry between these two cultivars, but the easiest way for me to distinguish between the two is by looking at the wood on the current to previous years growth. For 'Waterfall', the wood tends to be green with black blotching (some have even viewed the appearance as sickly looking). The true 'Viridis' has shades of green to yellow to brown in the wood and no black blotches.

There are many varieties of green dissectums and most are nearly indistinguishable from each other.

Brian

4. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

Well right now it's just a 12" stick with a horrible graft. I'll take some pics after the leaves out.