In The Garden: Grass / Weed, what is it?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Rolando Gonzalez, Apr 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rolando Gonzalez

Rolando Gonzalez New Member

Hi, thank you for your help.

I am trying to figure out what this is. The pictures of the young weed /grass were taken yesterday, the picture with the mature plant I found on the internet but it was not associated with an ID, I am quite confident it is the same plant.

The weed / grass is the first thing to grow in the garden after the winter, it grows quite fast and has very deep roots, the tip of the blade is yellowish and the blade is also very thick. it grows where there is a lot of humidity. The roots system seems to be white and there is a very distinctive white line in the middle of the blade.

20170303_145500_original (Grass).jpg IMG_3063.jpg IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3079.jpg

Can you help me ID it?
    Thank you

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like a species of Crocus.

3. Rolando Gonzalez

Interesting, but I never have seen it have flowers. Wonder if it is because I mow it?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Some species of Crocus are invasive weeds. I have some spreading through my lawn from a bed along the fence. They multiply quickly, producing dense clusters without flowers; and small groups in the grass only sporadically have flowers.

5. Rolando Gonzalez

Ok, I think the mistery is solved, the most likely scenario is they are some sort of Autumn crocus and the reason I never see flowers is because they are mowed in late spring :-). Thank you both, I am planning now to plant some "snow crocus" and/or "early crocus" , this should make my garden green and flowery very early in our frigid Quebec spring