grass to shrubbery

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by anon125, Aug 21, 2010.

1. anon125

anon125 Active Member 10 Years

I have read that i can place three layers of newspaper on the grass, put a little soils on, then after a while the grass vanishes (rots?) and i can plant shrubs.
    how long does it take? years?
    probably best done in the rainy season!
    thanks

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think it depends on type of grass. Some of our runner types just bide there time and create underground runners. My son has just set up new vegetable beds in wood plank boxes and he had to get rid of sorrell as a problem. (part of paddock planting. He put down thick newspaper layer (don't think 3 pages thick is enough) then put mulching material ontop including a bag of old chicken pellets. (did this over winter] has just recently put the good soil in beds and it is working. Started a second one yesterday and the grass cover is quiet thick (spring growth) so will see how it goes.

Liz

3. anon125

thanks - we will give it a try
    if you have tips about removing cooch or couch grass.....

4. Liz

I hand dig and pick it. Have also let chickens into the area in the past. Have found either spadeing it over and breaking the clods then picking runners, or pitchfork will also work. As soon as it sprouts go after the growth. It is a lot easier to clean than sorrell and oxalis and I have a huge problem with wandering Jew. Just be persistant and don't feed or water the area you are working on. Once you have cleared an area try fencing it of with root barrier plastic or as in my case boards sunk down into the soil.

Liz

5. anon125

roundup is looking more attractive!
    thanks

6. Liz

Are you sure roundup etc will work on runners,, grass? I always thought it was broadleaf stuff that it worked on. My biggest cleanup area is in new fenced off bit of paddock for a new veg patch. Old area of couch grass I have mowen and just keep it out of shrubbery beds with lot's of mulching. Easier to pull out. Good luck.

Liz

7. anon125

roundup kills ALL! be very careful!