Grass identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Acerholic, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have had this grass for 30 years, it was given to me by a late friend who did not know the name but said it was rare.
    To date I have not been able to identify it and hoped that someone on the forum could help me.
    It dies off every year around December and returns in late Spring. It grows only about 6 inches tall and has a soft texture to the leaves.
    I have asked a lot of people and been through all my gardening books, but to no avail.

Hoping for a reply

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Maybe others can tell just from that, but it would help to see a photo of the flowers. Do you remember what they look like, what colour, how tall?
    Here are two possibilities (they are both links to searches):
    Ophiopogon japonicus 'Variegatus'
    Liriope spicata 'Variegata' (or Liriope muscari 'Variegata' comes up too)

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

@wcutler and @Ron B
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I have checked your links and at last after 30 years have the name. Tulbaghia violacea variegata.
    What a forum.

Thanks again

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Wow, Tulbaghia violacea 'Variegata', common names over here seem to be society garlic or pink agapanthus. Acerholic, were you withholding information - have you noticed the smell?

6. Acerholic

@wcutler, good evening Wendy. No smell whatsoever, so would definitely have said if it had. I think I like Pink agapanthus best as a common name tbh.
    Do you know, I've just been out in my front garden on my knees smelling my plant. The neighbours now know what they always suspected........!!!!!! Lol.

Have a lovely Saturday evening Wendy and thanks again.