grass clipping mulch

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by fleur52, Jun 17, 2010.

1. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

This year I would like to try grass clippings as a mulch in my vegetable garden. I've been told it is a very good way to keep weeds down and moisture in. However, I have questions. Does it even work?? How deep should it be spread? Should it be kept away from the vegetable stalks? Are there any vegetables that it may harm? Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance.

2. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Grass clippings in my yard are never pure. There are always tons of seeds from whatever else is growing in the yard next to the grass.

In my yard that's clover, grass, dandelions, a bunch of other stuff. If the Cardinals are selling the grass clippings from Bush Stadium, that stuff might be pure.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Beware of clippings from unknown sources. They can contain broadleaf weed killers
    that would make short work of your vegetables. The clipping from your yard may be
    fine and are unlikely to introduce problem weeds. Allow them to heat up in a pile for
    a week or two if you have large quantities turning occasionally to aerate the pile.
    Apply sparingly against any stems but thickly between rows.

4. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Thank you for your advice ... Now I need to know the purpose of heating up the clippings first? I've always put egg shells around the base of my plants once they were in the ground. Will I be defeating this purpose by putting the clippings over them and will I be attracting rodents to my garden? Thankx.

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Just so that they compost in a pile and not next to a plant
    where they might rob nitrogen from the soil. Should make
    them easier to handle and a bit less likely to turn into a slimy
    mat. Unless your local rodents like hay it shouldn't be a
    problem, voles and such I don't ever see here in Texas so
    YMMV.