Identification: grapevine leaf disease

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by yahli, Oct 21, 2018.

1. yahli

yahli New Member

hello, i have recently moved to a new house and there's a sick grapevine in the garden, i have tried surfing the web looking at pictures and trying to identify the disease myself but with no luck, hope any of you could recognize, i have added some pics

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I can't tell for sure, but this could be damage caused by Erineum mites, or some other type of mites. Compare with Google Images on the Web. I find them on my grape vines in the spring, which I assume is the current season where you live.

3. evanniageorge

evanniageorge New Member

I agree that it might look like the blister mite. I believe they overwinter in the scales and bark of the tree. I have read that they do not affect crop yield, but are ugly.

4. yahli

yahli New Member

to me they seem lees like blisters, also, i have witnessed a hornet sitting over one of the sick leaves for a long period, perhaps it is something related to the hornets?

5. vitog

Hornets are unlikely to cause the kind of damage visible in your photos. I can see what look like blisters in the smaller of the two leaves in the first two photos. The damage in the other areas could be caused by spider mites. Are there any signs of fine webbing on the undersides of the leaves?

6. yahli

yahli New Member

yes, there are indeed small delicate spider webs between the foldings of the leaves

7. vitog

You can try spraying insecticidal soap to control spider mites.