grapefruit winter flush and freezing temps

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by redster, Jan 12, 2009.

1. redster

redster Active Member

i planted my grapefruit in april or so last year and its been doing fine, hasnt had any growth until last week. its been so hot around here it thinks its still summer. so about mid last week it started its first flush. the growth is barely an inch long now and the temps have finally dropped. its looking like we may have a light freeze now, should i worry about the new growth or can they handle temps around 30ish degrees for a few hours at the most???

if so whats the temperature that i should start covering it at?

thx

red

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If the temperatures do not drop below 32F I doubt you will have a problem with grapefruit. Mature grapefruit trees have with stood temperatures in the mid 20s. However, it sounds like your tree is still a rather small tree, one that would be easy and quick to cover just to be sure. Unless you actually trust the weather man, - Millet

3. redster

redster Active Member

im not so much worried about the tree as i am the new growth. as of right now the low friday is 30, and the rest of the week in the 30's...ill just cover it up tomorrow with a blanket just in case.

thx

4. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

My suggestion is to cover the plant with frost cloth and string a some 7 watt (Large) Christmas lights on it - just in case the temperature drops below freezing. If it is a small tree you may only need 5 to 8 or so bulbs lit. You may lose your new growth anyway. My grapefruit went through 22f last winter with just being covered up and suffered no damage. This winter it did lose its most recent flush when it got really cold - down to 10f. The parent tree (grown from seed) has reportedly survived nights down to 12f with little frost / freeze damage. A high / low thermometer is a really good investment - this way you can accurately monitor high and low temperatures at the tree and adjust your protection as required .

Greg