Grafting to repair a broken branch

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Please Help I know I posted this before so sorry if you have to read this again. I have a very large Acer and during a ice/snow storm I have lost a very large branch which was the whole one side of the tree. It is very lopsided in shape since the whole once side is gone now. Is there anyway to graft this lib back on. I'm desperate to save this tree. It's very cold here still I live in upstate New York so winter will be around for another 6 or so weeks. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Wound healing in trees is a fairly complex business and is dependent on many factors, including tree health, branch size, wound characteristics and local conditions.

A locally qualified arborist would be the right person to help you out in this regard, as some considerable expertise is required to adequately assess the damage and make a recommendation. The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is the qualifying organization for arborists in North America. You should be able to get a list of registered arborists from them. See this link for the ISA in New York State.