Propagation: Grafting mango with avocado

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Aruba guy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Aruba guy

Aruba guy Member

I am new at grafting and did my first air layering yesterday to my avocado tree that is originally from Dominican Republic.
    I have gotten small plant from seeds from this tree but it takes so long before it starts bearing.
    1. Can I graft a branch from the big tree that us bearing fruit to the small plant, and will it flower when the mother tree is flowering?

2. Can I graft a mango branch into the avocado plant? And will it give fruit or will it graft at all?

Aruba guy.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

1. Yes, and yes, more or less, depending on how close to blooming you make the graft. The longer you give the graft to take, the better. Are you familiar at all with crown grafts? You can technically use the rootstock of the seedling to bear a new crown from the larger mother tree, if you want a productive tree faster. However, it's still a good idea to let the seedling grow on its own for a year or two so that it's got well-established roots and a reasonable basal stem before you graft.

2. No. They're not even in the same families (Avocados are in the Lauraceae, Mangos in the Anacardiaceae), so the graft won't take at all, and you definitely won't get mangoes on your avocado tree (or visa versa). You can, however, graft avocado to Bay Laurel, and Mango to Cashew.....

3. Aruba guy

Aruba guy Member

Thank you Lorax,
    it saved me a lot of time that I would have lost otherwise.

Aruba guy