Grafting Japanese maples in California

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dr. Gary Rose, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Dr. Gary Rose

Dr. Gary Rose New Member

Has anyone used any of the grafting tools now being advertised such as the Omega grafting tool etc. I am considering grafting several of my weeping maples and found numerous ads for these tools.
    Also, leaving in Auburn, CA (foothills) where the temperature can reach the mid 90s or hotter, has anyone tried grafting maples at this time of the year, or is it best to wait for the maples to go into dormancy?

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I don't have experience with those tools but have seen them in several publications and catalogs. I always see them being promoted for fruit grafting. I would think it's because the wood and bark of fruit trees will stand up to these tools better than maples. I know several people in the area that graft and grow Japanese maples professionally in a wholesale setting. I would think if the Omega tools worked well and saved time they would be using them.

@mr.shep has extensive experience in growing / grafting Japanese maples in CA. I don't see him on here very often lately, but he may chime in.

The International Plant Propagators Society has information on grafting Japanese maples and Summer grafting. Unfortunately it's not free information unless you are a member. I don't have the room to graft, but if I were looking to get into grafting I would consider joining.

Membership includes access to their online library (60+volumes). One document that caught my eye was "SUCCESSES AND FAILURES IN GRAFTING JAPANESE MAPLES"
    by Dick Wolf, the guy who introduced Emperor I. Here is a link to the sneak peak:
    IPPS - The International Plant Propagators Society - Proceedings

The other is "Summer Grafting"
    IPPS - The International Plant Propagators Society - Proceedings

I see several subjects on grafting Japanese maples. I can't tell you if they are any help, but I would like to think so. Other members may have experience in grafting in your climate. Also now that this thread is bumped back to the top you may get a definite answer to your question.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. Dr. Gary Rose

Dr. Gary Rose New Member

Thank you so much for your valuable information. I will take your suggestion and join the IPPS. Do you happen to know how I can contact @mr.shepard? Again, thank you. Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Click the link to him in the posting above yours. "Start a Conversation" is one of the options in the window that comes up.

5. Dr. Gary Rose

Dr. Gary Rose New Member

Thank you.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is a link to the North American Western Region.
    IPPS | Western Region of North America

Their member benefits mention joining up new members with an existing member that has knowledge specific to your area. I don't know how all that works, but the online resources and symposium might be worth the price to gain knowledge and meet propogators who are familiar with your area and climate.

7. Dr. Gary Rose

Dr. Gary Rose New Member

Thanks.

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I had the great pleasure of speaking with Tim Brotzman today. He's been an IPPS member since the early 70's and a past president. He is one of the greats when it comes to plants and propagation. He also highly recommend this book, The Bench Grafters Handbook:
    The Bench Grafter's Handbook

He said much of the knowledge was kept in secrecy for decades as it gave growers a competitive edge. The IPPS was developed in Cleveland, Ohio to change that philosophy as too much information was dying and being lost. Tim said the IPPS is definitely the way to go. He knew the man that gave the information on Summer grafting Japanese maples. Tim thought the information available through the IPPS is very valuable as the best methods and practices. He was also impressed with the information and level of detail in the book and knows the author. He said it has everything you need to know.

Tim was saying how most growers may only propagate 50 times in their lives. A lot is learned over a lifetime by doing and experience with different weather conditions. Tim's point was that you can learn from a lifetime of experience or spend a lifetime trying to figure it all out.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years