Grafted cacti and degrafting questions.

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by osippi, Apr 11, 2006.

1. osippi

osippi Active Member

Hiya,
    I have two questions. First off, one of my grafted cacti's only arm has gotton a brown-tinge to it and a bit soft. I'm rather worried about it. I remember reading something about grafted cacti and sunburn at one point... I take my cacti out for the afternoon sun when it's warm enough. Could it be possible it got sunburned? The other grafted is in the same planter and it's doing fine.

Also, I've been reading about degrafting cacti. As I've posted before, the tops of my two grafteds have died. I think it's hendering growth at this point, so how do I go about degrafting and is it safe at this point to degraft? Atleast the healthy one? They are both growing limbs like crazy and seem to be otherwise healthy despite the browning on one of the grafted's limbs.

Thanks!
    Lakota

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Cutting off the dead graft shouldn't hurt anything, but it will leave a ugly scab. Why do you want to cut off the living graft too?

3. osippi

osippi Active Member

I don't want to cut off the living grafts, I want to cut off the dead ones.

The base is still alive, the cactus that was grafted onto it died. So I want to get rid of it because it's been hendering growth, I think.

Thanks!
    Lakota

4. osippi

osippi Active Member

Update:

I just got finished degrafting both of the cacti. It went smooth and painless.

I have another question: The cacti that had the browning arm has more problems. The arm has now begun shrivling up. The base seems healthy, but for some reason the arm looks like it's dying. Should I cut it off? Or wait? What should I do?

Thanks,
    Lakota

5. globalist1789

If it were me, I would cut it off at the trunk. I don't know why it would be doing that, but leaving it on can't be any help to the rest of the plant. My concern is WHY is the arm going brown. That happens from the ground up when there is rot, but from the top down, I don't know unless there is a problem below the soil.

6. osippi

osippi Active Member

Both of the cacti are browning now, the limbs are. Should I change the soil, or get a new planter or something else?

Forgive me for so many questions, I've never dealt with this kind of thing with cacti.

7. globalist1789

If it where mine I would cut off any discolourations a hold off on the water. Once it is dry then you can check the roots. Sorry to say that I don't know what the problem could be, but this might be a lost cause. Just don't so too much too fast.