Identification: gotu kola?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mistari, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mistari

mistari Member

I ordered two gotu kola plants both from different stores. why are they different?

they were sold to me as gotu kola (centella asiatica/hydrocotyl asiatica), but they both look different. why?

This one i bought from companion plants:
    http://www.mistari.com/gotu1.jpg

This one i bought from neem tree farms:
    http://www.mistari.com/gotu2.jpg

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Your pictures aren't working...

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

I can see the pics... but I don't know the answer... :(((

Attached Files:

5. mistari

mistari Member

ahh thanks and sorry.. i can see them though.. weird.

6. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

The plant on the left is Centella asiatica.

The one on the right is Glecoma hederacea.

7. mistari

mistari Member

wow thanks. well. this has confused me for some time. i posted a thread on the dave's garden forum and someone suggested the same thing you did- gill over the ground. Thank you!

8. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

(Uhh... 2. really looks like a simple Glechoma... :)))

9. mistari

mistari Member

Thank you!

Well what are some suggestions on what I should do about the website that sold me the false gotu kola? The owner refuses to listen to me that it is not gotu kola and is continuing to sell it. The website is http://www.neemtreefarms.com

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Report them to the BBB.

They are so out-of-touch they are still calling Aloe vera by the obsolete name Aloe barbadensis.

11. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

BBB??
    Not familiar with them Steve as I am in Australia. Who or what are they?

Ed

12. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

whatever you do, DO NOT let the stuff in the second pot get into the ground!!!!!! it's horribly invasive and virtually impossible to irradicate!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mistari

mistari Member

Steve- I noticed to aloe barbadensis awhile ago also. I told the owner I would report them to the BBB, but I am trying to see if she will listen to what I am saying first. Seems she's very stubborn. Joc- I had some planted in a garden, I ripped it all up yesterday and burned it. I read that it was an invasive weed on the USDA plant info.

Thanks all for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Also, I had to leave them negative feedback on the website dave's garden.. http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2344/

14. joclyn

it will regrow from the tiniest, most miniscule, bit of root...so, be vigilant until the ground freezes and be on the look out for it next spring.

besides the bbb, you can also contact your state attorney general office. you've got a quite effective set-up up there in ny and i'll bet you'll find there are other complaints on file with them about this company!

ed, the bbb is the 'better business bureau'. it's an organization that will help you to resolve an issue with a business - regardless of whether the business is a member or not. it's a national thing here in the us.

15. edleigh7

Who's the BBB???
    Someone please tell this Aussie what or who it is??? lol

Ed

16. mistari

mistari Member

it stands for better business bureau.. it's where you report bad businesses.

here is the link to where someone else told me it is glechoma as well.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898055/

My jaw dropped when she told me to leave her alone today. lol.

17. edleigh7

Thanks mistari

Ed

18. joclyn

you and i posted at the same time, ed...

19. mistari

mistari Member

yup. lol.

20. Vicki Parsons

Vicki Parsons Member

Good Afternoon!

I'm the person growing gotu kola that this group has identified as Glecoma hederacea.

We specialize in neem (Azadirachta indica) and only started growing gotu kola because people who use Ayurveda kept requesting it. We purchased the original plant from an Ayurvedic physician in Miami at least six years ago. When Mr. M. first questioned me, I ran a Google image search of gotu kola which shows both the rounded and spade-shaped leaves.

I'm very confused about your identification of this plant as a Glecoma because a Google image search clearly shows that Glecoma is a flowering plant. What we're growing has never had a flower and it's been grown in almost every condition (wet, dry, sun, shade) over the past years.

Mr. M. recently sent me a Wikipedia article that said Centella does have flowers, so I've taken the plant off the website until I can get some further insight, hopefully from this group. I also have a friend who has an Indian botanist visiting later this year and I'll make sure he has a plant to see and taste. I'll also email the experts at Wikipedia because Google images only shows two shots of a flowring Centella a. and the other descriptions I've found don't seem to mention flowers either way.

I'd also like the group's help in correcting the Aloe Barbadensis species. I ran a Google search on the term and couldn't find anything that identified it as an obsolete use. Again, we only grow aloe because we were receiving so many requests for it. These plants were purchased from a major grower in south Florida and clearly labeled Barbadensis.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, we really do try to do the right thing as evidenced by the fact that we promptly returned his money even when the Glecoma identification appears to be incorrect.

Please let me know if we can do anything to help. We're major supporters of ongoing research on neem and can provide seeds or products to interested groups (we can't ship plants to Canada without a phyto though).

Vicki Parsons

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  21. mistari

mistari Member

Vicki-

All it took was me mentioning gotu kola has flowers? Unbelieveable. If I had known that I would have told you from the beginning. Maybe the reason your glechoma doesn't flower is because it doesn't have the right conditions to flower. Some plants need a certain amount of light or other changes to induce flowering. If you click on my centella picture in the first post in full size, you can see the tiny pink little flowers underneath the leaves. I could post a better pic of the flowers later.

22. Vicki Parsons

Vicki Parsons Member

No Joe,

This plant does not have the prominent blooms shown on http://images.google.com/images?sou...rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS265US265&q=Glechoma+hederacea.

It’s a tropical plant that’s been growing in a tropical or subtropical setting for multiple years. I can’t find the paperwork on when we bought the first plants, but we keep building new greenhouses and I remember it growing in one we tore down and replaced five years ago because the plant escaped and grew very happily underneath the benches. We’ve had it growing in sun and shade, wet and dry conditions. I even had one in a hanging basket that was outside during a light frost several years ago.

It’s possible, according to James Cook University in Australia, that I’ve just never noticed the flowers but that report also indicates that leaves may be “heart-shaped to almost circular†and shows a photo that looks just like what I’m growing. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...0&ndsp=20&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS265US265&sa=N

It may or may not be a Centella but it would be very hard to miss the flowers in those Glechoma Google images. I’ve been growing it for too long and under too many conditions to believe that it might have prominent flowers someday.

Vicki

23. mistari

mistari Member