Golden Pothos (Problems)

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by T311, Feb 25, 2016.

1. T311

T311 Member

Hey guys,
    I am battling this Pothos problem right now. I am not sure if it is just over-watering or a worse problem I thought I would check with you guys if you had similar problems before and any fixes. What worries me is that it has that black stuff on every new leaf. It is putting out a lot of new leaves though. There doesn't seem to be many problems with the leaves close to the soil though.

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

A lot of times on my pothos, growing outdoors with minimal attention year round other than giving it a crewcut every spring, any mechanical damage or insect bites will get black with a ring of yellow. Black can sometimes indicate a fungus, but this is an aroid. Fungus is not usually a problem. So, I'm betting with viewing the pics that it was from external injury, not an illness or a parasite. So, in my yard that could be squirrel jumping, bird pecking, twigs falling, human stumbling, weed whacking or things of that sort. It grows fast enough that the incidental damage is easily forgiven.

3. T311

T311 Member

Thank you; I did not know it was an aroid. Should I cut the shabby leaves off? let them absorb back into the plant? I have wondered which is healthier.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Me, I'd leave them on as long as they are green. Any viable, healthy green is producing more food for the plant via photosynthesis. If you want to display this plant, cut them off with clean sharp blades. When they are no longer viable, they snap off at the stem very easily. I just press on the petiole close to the plant stem and they come away clean.