Goji berry problem and pest identification.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Tricia A, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Tricia A

Tricia A New Member

Hi there! I love my goji berry plant, it is four years old now. Two things this year:

1) A portion of the berries have gone black at the ends. I'm still getting a good harvest, but wondering what it is. Perhaps blossom end rot? I read that it may be due to a calcium deficiency, but I'm really not sure.

2) For the first time in my garden, which is a lot of veggies, I noticed this bug, on the goji, but it has spread a bit to the green bush beens adjacent. I wonder if it is a stink bug after an internet search. How much of a problem might this be? I'm removing them and throwing them out on my lawn away from the goji when I see them!

Any advice or help in identification is appreciated,
    Thanks
    Goji rot.jpg Goji Bug.jpg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, looks like a young stink bug / shield bug. There is a high degree of likelihood they are the culprits in fruit damage.

3. Tricia A

Tricia A New Member

Thanks so much! I'll monitor them in the garden next year and see if they are a returning pest. They seem to have gone in the last 2 weeks or so.
    Much appreciated!