GLEDITSIA TRIACANTHOS 'Sunburst' vs ROBINIA PSEUDOACACIA ‘Frisia’

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Justine M, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

What are the pro's and con's for these trees in the Vancouver BC area?
    I'm not really familiar with either type.

I am looking for a tree to cover up ugly overhead wires and to provide privacy. I laid out my situation with photos in another thread. (At first I was thinking rhodo or arbutus fix... but now I am looking at deciduous options)
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=240109#post240109

Any advice greatly appreciated. I am always so impressed by the knowledge base of the participants in this forum.

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Re: GLEDITSIA TRIACANTHOS 'Sunburst' vs ROBINIA PSEUDOACACIA ‘Frisia’

From my experiences, I wouldn't want either.

Gleditsia takes twice as long to prune because it winds through itself with age. It's a nuisance to prune compared to many other species. Since there are so many other trees to choose from, I'd take a pass on that one. Many I have seen around here, don't do as well in urban environments as I would have expected from some things read.

Suppose I'd take the Robinia, but I've seen more than a handful with weak unions. The wood itself is hard though. If you buy one, make sure it has not even one "V" shape union to begin with.

3. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Thanks M.D. Since first posting that question I've continued to research and consider options. For sure I will rule out Gleditsia, given your observation. That didn't come up in the research! I'm fairly certain I want something that does not lose its leaves in winter and that wont grow higher than 30 feet (20 would be fine too). I'm getting garden fevor already. On my walk with my dog today I saw galanthus snowdrops and a small hedge with forsythia-like blooms on display. So many options living in Vancouver!

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Because those loose leaves, and you want something that keeps leaves, have you looked into Little Gem Magnolia?

Options are limited if you don't want a decidous tree after all.

I've been pruning and watching quite a few Little Gem Magnolia tree which people planted, and they appear to be doing very well overall.

5. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Another friend suggested that tree. Thanks for confirming it. I'll look more pointedly at it. I have to confess that I am moving toward a subtropical feel for this garden design and magnolia would likely suit it! I already have bamboo and an albizia planted. Thanks!