Girdling Roots - Waterfall JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You really can't do anything more Lisa. My fingers and toes area all crossed for you.

D

Otto Bjornson and Lisa Harry like this.
  2. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well, it’s apparently not as hot today. It’s almost 9pm and my deck is reading 25C, we ran about 8 degrees less than yesterday. Pictures are from tonight, I still have hope that this little guy can be restored to its previous beauty, with the coming weather not as intense it should help in the recovery process. I could be crazy but I’ve seen others revive what I believed worse. We will surely find out. I’ll keep you all posted just in case there is gambling going on in the background!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Today’s update after it’s morning misting. I know it looks grim but I raked out with my hands dead leaves so it of course looks very thinned out. This past week I received new patio furniture and I discovered that the place I had it located under my deck was the hottest spot, so I am probably more to blame for the leaf scorch than the actual heat wave. Under my deck still but in a new location I feel it is doing better. I still feel confident it will live although it won’t look good the rest of this year. It feels more stable in the soil than when I first planted it. The branches are not fully droopy and what green is there is still vibrant. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic and I know there is a lot stacked against this little guy but I still have hope!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

If we were giving out grades on helping maples recover, it would be an A for effort Lisa.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Here’s an update, I am confident this little guy will fully recover. I believe much of the leaf scorch is mainly due to where it was placed under my deck that caused a magnifying response to our heat wave as it’s doing just fine moved 5 ft from the clear panels above. Had that poor placement not occurred I think we would have only seen stress from the root pruning. It feels strong its branches seem still vibrant and I believe its growing new roots, the branches are not slumping or weak feeling. It’s foliage that is left is very vibrant but no new growth. As long as I keep it safe over winter I think we are good. It will live here until spring.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

I think you are right Lisa.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well I know it looks pathetic but it has gone into its fall colour so I am confident it is not dead and will bloom again in spring. It had a few more leaves but we have had downpours to no end so many are gone now.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Good evening Lisa, when the leaves have all gone, do a check on your tree for any dead or diseased wood and cut it out. Then it's a matter of leaving it to sleep until Spring.

D

maf likes this.
  9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks D will do

10. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Attached Files:

AlainK, emery, maf and 2 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

You have done really well Lisa. Well done you. Not a problem removing the dead wood now either. But leave a small stub of dead, otherwise it will bleed. You can then remove the stub in the Summer or in the Autumn.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  12. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks so much @Acerholic will do soon.