Ginkgo biloba

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Elmore, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

I call this locally found male Ginkgo, "Penny Lane". Great looking, low branched specimen. I have grafted a few trees from this fantastic tree and plan on producing many more of it. Here are pictures of it progressing through the seasons.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

nice series Elmore, I have a question for you, how common is a weeping Gingko? I saw one at a nursery and it is labelled as a gingko biloba pendula. It is a top grafted one about 6 foot to the graft, weeping back from that point.

3. Elmore

Ginkgo biloba 'Pendula'

Paul, I just walked outside and saw about a dozen of them, haha. All but two are under 2' and 2 are grafted at about 5' on standards. I don't think it is very common down here in Dixie although I think there is a plant on the UAH campus in Huntsville, AL. Most are likely produced on the west coast, probably Oregon and/or Washington and on the east coast probably New Jersey and/or NY. Also some likely created in North Carolina. I got some wood out of NY a year or two ago and grafted these. I was told that they may be horizontalis, that is a common refrain when talking about this cultivar. Not widely seen but usually available as smaller material from mail order sources. More likely to find it growing in an arboretum or botanical garden.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That tree you have your eye on - is it perhaps Ginkgo biloba 'Golden Globe'?

Check out: Ginkgo biloba cultivars

5. Elmore

Male Ginkgo

Here is a nice male Ginkgo that I have been looking at lately. I need to start cloning it soon to see how it performs and compares with the other clones that I work with. I don't know about the fall color but will get back to it in autumn and see. I like it's habit ... short, tight, fairly compact ... like a Bulldog. That is what I will call it, Bulldog. There are three large female trees in the same vicinity as this male and they dwarf it.

Attached Files:

6. Elmore

'Golden Globe'

'Golden Globe' is a recent introduction from Cleaveland Tree Company in Fort Valley, GA. It is a male with a full head and spectacular yellow fall color. Trees are unusually densely branched for ginkgos. Young trees have full crowns that mature in a broad, rounded head. In addition they are said to be fast growers compared to many other Ginkgoes. Being a recent introduction it is unlikely to find a 'Golden Globe' that is of any size, yet. There are a lot of them being produced in the past couple of years. Coming to your local nursery/garden center soon.

7. Elmore

Another Male

Here is another local male Ginkgo That I have grafted a few of. I like the looks of this relatively narrow, multi-trunk tree. Along with it's narrow stature and more open form, it shows good color throughout the seasons. I call it "Country Club"...why? It is on Country Club Road.

Attached Files:

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Daniel, I don't think it is a golden globe. I could tell you where it is if you want to have a look at it, its at a nursery thats really close to your office.

9. Elmore

Fastigiate Form

Here is a Ginkgo biloba f. fastigiata that I call "Fastijoe". It's located on Joe's property. I'll bet it's 35' to 40' tall and no more than 10' wide and has a 12" caliper. It has never produced any fruit, or so I've been told. If I could see it in flower I could be absolutely sure of the sex as male flowers and female flowers on Ginkgo are distinctive. I am assuming it's a male tree. I have been grafting this tree for about two years now and am getting some small numbers. I think a row of columnar Ginkgoes would look good planted along one side of a country drive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  10. Elmore

Maggie's Male

Here is the first male Ginkgo that I propagated. I rooted several of these in 1996. I have since grafted it. I call this tree "Maggie's Male". That's Maggie's house on the left.

Attached Files:

11. Elmore

Glong

Here is another local male tree that I have grafted some from. I call it "Glong". The owner is a local nurseryman named George Long. I've been told that this tree variegates from time to time. I have not seen it when variegated. It is close to 40' tall and has a caliper of, approximately 15". As you can see it has a nice, fairly narrow, upswept growth habit.

Attached Files:

12. Elmore

'Golden Globe'

Okay, now some cultivars. Due to the lack of any known cultivars of any size, to be found locally, I wll be showing progressively smaller trees, but this photo is of a large tree located in Georgia. The photo is not mine, it is David Cleaveland's, the owner of this patented cultivar. 'Golden Globe' is a recent introduction from Cleaveland Tree Company in Fort Valley, GA. It is a male with a full head and spectacular yellow fall color. Trees are unusually densely branched for ginkgos. Young trees have full crowns that mature in a broad, rounded head. In addition they are said to be fast growers compared to many other Ginkgoes. Being a recent introduction it is unlikely to find a 'Golden Globe' that is of any size, yet. There are a lot of them being produced in the past couple of years. Coming to your local nursery/garden center soon.

Attached Files:

13. Elmore

'Autumn Gold'

This is the largest Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold' that I know of growing in the Tennessee Valley. This is the first tree that I grafted from. It was about 12' to 15' tall when I made this photo, less than a year ago. 'Autumn Gold' is likely the most commonly found cultivar of any size, It is a symmetrical, broad, conical form that grows to about 50' x 30'. It is noted for it's excellent yellow fall color. I believe it to be slower growing than some of the cultivars that I have been working with but is well worth the wait.

Attached Files:

14. Elmore

Ginkgo biloba 'Magyar'

Here is the cultivar 'Magyar'. This is an upright branching, pyramidal form, a relatively narrow tree. The parent plant was growing in front of the Magyar bank in New Brunswick, NJ. I hear that the tree has been removed. Rumor has it that the people at Princeton Nursery wish that they had trade marked this tree like they did with 'Princeton Sentry' as this is a superior clone. The tree pictured is about 10' -12' with a 3" caliper. I was instrumental in bringing this and another tree to the Tennessee Valley. I also negotiated the sale of two additional 3" 'Magyar' in the Memphis area. This tree was recently planted into the landscape and should put on some strong new growth in the coming years.

Attached Files:

15. Elmore

Ginkgo biloba 'Tubiformis'

Here is a cultivar that I obtained as a small 1g plant from a nurseryman in Crestwood, KY. I received it in about 2001 when it was about 6-10" tall. I immediately bumped it up to a 7g container. It is now about 6' tall and staked. 'Tubiformis' is characterized by leaves that are rolled up like a tube or a trumpet. Some leaves appear as if two separate, opposing leaves. As this cultivar matures it is said to produce more typically shaped leaves that are somewhat lanciniate. I have noticed new leaves that show this lanciniate form. Also pictured is a closeup of some leaves from this plant and two pictures of a second 'Tubiformis' that I grafted in 2002 or there abouts. It is the first and only 'Tubiformis' that I have yet grafted. Both of these plants have now produced enough growth that I will soon be grafting/budding as many as one or two dozen additional plants. The two pictures of the smaller 'Tubiformis' show the vigorous growth put on between April 2004 and July 2004.

Attached Files:

16. Elmore

'ChiChi'

Here is Ginkgo biloba 'ChiChi'. A favorite of Bonsai enthusiasts, this tree develops breast- like protuberances from the trunk and branches. Hence the name 'ChiChi'. I have read that they start to show this feature at about 10 years. Many Ginkgo b. 'ChiChi' are rooted as they are said to root easily. I graft mine as it is the method that I use on all of mine and I am not set up to start cuttings in an efficient manor. I got the scion for this tree from a 'Chi Chi' on exhibit at SNA in Atlanta in 2000. The parent tree was a 75 year old Bonsai specimen and had a price tag of about $5,850.00. It was an impressive piece and was showing good chichi. I grafted mine in August of 2000. The first picture of this tree, in a 3g red pot, was made 10-9-2002 and the other picture is the same tree in a 7g container, made 7-1-04.

Attached Files:

17. cherbstritt

cherbstritt Member

Hi Elmore,
    Do you know if G. tubiformis, brooms wtubes, tubifolia, tubeleaf, and tubiforme are the same plant?

Are there services or people that might graft a G. clone for me? I found a very neat tree and am hoping to get a few grafted. It looks like something from the dinosaur age. Alternate ly going to try to air layer it.

One more question... Is 'Aurea/aka Yellowleaf/aka BejingGold' or 'Sno wflake' available in the states? Having trouble finding these guys.

Thanks so much,
    Chris

18. dybbuk

dybbuk Member

Hi, I'm new here and a big ginkgo enthusiast. Here's a picture of my weeping ginkgo 'ross moore'--a true weeper. I've had to stake it 'til now and am curious to see what's to become of it. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

19. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Another Ginkgo newbie here, I was able to pick up 'Autumn Gold' on sale last summer for about $50, the tree was 10ft tall. I had the pleasure of watching it go from green to that lovely golden yellow colour last fall.

Now I know it's slow growing, but how slow? Some people have said I should prune some of the branches so it can put all the energy into the middle stem? I don't want to lose the shape of the tree, it looks like the one in the pic above with all the yellow gold colours

20. cherbstritt

cherbstritt Member

I always try to prune my Ginkgos carefully so that there is a single main stem. If there are two or more main stems, you can cut a bit off the tip of the unwanted stems to reduce the vigor of that branch. This will allow the main stem to continue growing with vigor. For dwarf globose cultivars this does not apply. I have seen Fall Gold grow very large and quite fast. By the way, it seems that all Ginkgos have yellow leaves in the fall.