Giant Sunflower

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

URL to Jack-and-the Beanstalk These are 30 July 2005 pictures.

URL to 25 Aug 2005 Photographs

This is 25 Aug 2005 photographs, seed pod is fully developed. The plant is very strong, in that, it has survived two viscious rain storms.

This sunflower is 12 feet tall and still growing. The flower has started to form. It has a rebar support about 4 feet up. It survived our recent violent rain storm successfully without bending.
    Durgan

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I don't have a picture, but I'll try, we have some that are reaching close to the top of the house.
    Carol Ja

3. Durgan

URL to update picture 11 Aug 2005

The sunflower has produced a bloom. Size I cannot measure without a ladder, but it is still growing. I suspect the height has finished, now I am interested in the final size of the flower.

It is interesting to speculate just why the height is required. For example, why not grow short and produce a large bloom. Does height has anything to do with the size of the bloom.

Brantfords had a thunderstorm yesterday with about 2 inches, 5.08 centimeters in about one hour. It was sorely needed. We had three rains from about June 1 to date. The field soy beans were beginning to suffer. This rain should cure the problem. It covered a large area, since it was a moving storm with fairly strong winds.
    Durgan

4. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Oh my god that is gigantic!!!!!!! Where did you get your seeds? That's crazy I love it!

5. Durgan

Seeds, were purchased from a greenhouse. Probably Giant Russian. I am protecting this one and will save the seeds. Remind me to sent you some about the end of September. The head is now almost complete and is very healthy. The birds are eating all the other ones in the yard, which is why I grew them.
    Durgan.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  6. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

awesome thanks!! :D

7. Durgan

A new photo taken 25 August has been added to the original post showing the seed head formation.
    Durgan

8. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

We have a russian variety growing at the gardens at the Salt Spring Center of Yoga,
    I teach at the childrens school that shares the gardens with the center. Dan Jason grows them he is a seeds man. www.saltspringseeds.com he has a few rare varieties also there. It is a great place to take pictures of the kids. I love the way the flower heads droop.
    Carol Ja