Giant Sequoias from seeds - nothing beyond seed leaves

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by YannP, Jan 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. YannP

YannP New Member

Hi,

I've revently made attemps at growing Giant Sequoias from seeds. I bought seeds online and I also got some from a nearby tree. I've had rather good results : I'd say approximately 40% of the seeds sprouted, revealing nice cotyledons, between 4 and 6 of them depending on the seedling.
    And then : nothing.
    None of the seedlings ever went beyond the seed leaves. They just remain stuck at this stage, not growing at all, and after 2 to 3 weeks, they begin to die. I first tried in the end of october, and again in the begining of december. A total of 8 seedling sprouted and none ever grew a single extra leaf beyond the cotyledons. It is as if something stops them right after they come out. Any idea why ? Every article or video that I saw talked about leaves appearing just days after the cotyledons.
    I live in France. I've done my little experiments inside, I a quite light place. Could it be the time of year (not enough hours of light) ? Could it be the soil ?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is the tree on its own, or are there multiple other specimens nearby? If it is on its own, then it will probably be because self-pollinated seed is of low genetic quality, the seeds effectively 'suiciding' to avoid incest. Try to collect seed from somewhere that there are several trees growing close to each other.

Time of year may also be a factor, it is better to germinate the seeds in spring when there is more light.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

What kind of substrate you are using for your sowing test?
    I never tried to sow sequoias, but conifers usually perform well in a sandy soil. Peat based mixes could have wrong pH or some other negative factors.

4. Michael F

Good point - peat compost is not good for conifer seedlings. My best success has been with a mix of sand and coir (coconut fibre) compost. Coir has much better drainage than peat; peat gets waterlogged very easily, which encourages damping-off fungal diseases.

5. YannP

YannP New Member

Thanks for your answers. I didn't think about the genetic aspect of it. I don't know where the seeds I bought online come from, but those I got by myself come from a pair of trees in a park in France, so maybe not the best.
    The substrate is a very basic universal potting mix... The composition isn't written on the bag, but I wouldn't be surprised if there would be peat compost in it. I will try to find (or make) a mix of sand and coconut fiber compost ! And I'll try again in spring. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try to keep you posted on the experiments !

Sulev and wcutler like this.
  6. Michael F

Good luck, hope it works!