Giant Lily

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by eimaj, Oct 13, 2004.

1. eimaj

eimaj Member

I have a question about dividing a giant lily, I was told they don't respond well to this and I shouldn't even try. I am new to gardening and am just learning as I go but I do follow instructions well and have had good luck with the plants all the plants I've had up to date. I should specify that this lily is a cardiocrinum giganteum and not just a really big lily. If any one could help with any info it would be appreciated. The plant also has a seed pod on the top of it that, hopefully, will aid me in my quest for a couple more of these plants, but again I'm still trying to find information in how to collect and plant these seeds.

thanx again in advance for any information.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's like a bromeliad or a sempervivum: mature, flowered plant in center peters out, but leaves behind circle of youngsters that grow on to bloom in turn themselves, some years later. May not have to divide it, certainly nobody does in the wild.

3. JuneP

JuneP Member

I also have a giant lily and have been told by the nursery to take the seed pods off the plant when they become "papery". The seeds can be planted but the plants will take 7 years to bloom. As for the small off shoots, these can be taken after the plant dies down or as the plant starts growing in the spring. I am told that you just dig up the shoots and seperate the babies. I am going to try this for the first time this fall, I will keep the small plants in the garage for the winter and plant out in the spring.

June

4. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Giant Lily.jpg

Lily closeup.jpg Good advice - the offspring here will be in the form of bulblets, which can be easily separated from the original plant and from each other. You may want to leave a part of the original clump in place as the plant is apparently happy here. These plants do take a few years to bloom, & slugs love them, but they're well worth the wait - the fragrance of the blooms is intense too.