Invasives: Giant Hogweed video

Discussion in 'Plants: Conservation' started by NiftyNiall, Apr 8, 2008.

1. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Worksafe British Columbia, short video about dealing with Giant Hogweed, and the precautions one must take. (A better tool, was needed)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I hope that everyone is being told how to differentiate these from the native cow parsnip. I've heard that down here both are being killed as a part of the hogweed control effort. Plants of the native I spotted on a busy road several years ago have apparently since disappeared, I'm wondering if they were sprayed or pulled.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Michael, is there a smaller version of this plant. We have something that looks like this that has invaded local paddocks from a council gravel dump along with the ragwort. The ragwort is gone but this other stuff keeps coming up I suspect from seeds. I noticed when in Switzerland there was a woman carefully pulling it up out of her meadow. I am familiar with the big one. We had one growing at home. Probably a good thing it did not take off given what I have seen on video.

Liz

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes; there are several other species of Heracleum, for starters. The pdf file I linked mentions a couple native to Europe; RonB mentions another native in western North America. Obviously where these are native, they need to be protected in any Giant Hogweed removal programme. Sorry, I don't know what you have in the way of similar plants in Australia, whether native or introduced species of Heracleum, or in other related genera.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

No I would say these are introduced. Will go back over the files to see. I have only seen them growing like this here. The smaller ones.
    Thankyou
    Liz