Getty Center Photo Requests

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by yousatonmycactus, Feb 13, 2007.

1. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

I will be leading a tour of the Getty Center in Brentwood (Los Angeles), CA, on Thursday, February 15, 2006. If you Google the Getty Center, "Plants In The Getty's Central Garden", authored by Jim Duggan, Foreward by Robert Irwin, Garden photography by Becky Cohen, you will see what we are in for. If you have any special requests, I will attempt to post photos of your favorites. WARNING!! California isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Don't move here... I will send you digital photos instead. ';'

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

What you mean is California isn't what it used to be!!!
    Especially your area, Ventura-once a very nice agricultural area that became a bedroom community for the LA morass!

3. yousatonmycactus

Re: The Knock Mess Lobster..

I actually grew up in Pacific Palisades, California. My parents had their home built for $14,500, including the 1/4 acre lot, in 1946. Nothing sells for less than $1 million in the Palisades today.North of where I live now in Ventura, prized avocado and citrus orchards have been and are being razed for green houses, which could be built in the middle of the desert, with their plastic covered roofs, cement floors, artificial atmosphere and imported water, fertilizer, and soil (if required).

In the mean time, the workers are renting homes and condos, housing 4, 5, and 6 or more family's in order to be able to afford to live near where the work is. Home prices and rent are forcing the natives to move north and east. Soylent green can't be far behind.

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

thank you for the offer.
    I'd love to see where their Wollemia nobilis is situated.

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Thanks.

I think one of the nicest spots in California is near the north border, along the Smith River, not far from Hiouichi - east of Crescent City by about 25 minutes. Just on the edge of the redwoods.

6. yousatonmycactus

kia796

The Getty Center does not house an example of the Wollemia nobilis, and I therefore was unable to answer your request for a photo. The good news is that Lotusland IS a recipient of this rare pine tree and will soon have it on display.

An approximately 1' tall example of this beautiful tree was actual GIVEN AWAY AS A DOOR PRIZE at an aboriculture seminar at the Los Angeles Arboritum last month, and therefore, presumably, it is well on its way back from the brink...

For photos and details on the Wollemia nobilis, type it in to Google. There doesn't appear to be ANYTHING that can't be found there. I also recommend the film "Medicine Man" to anyone who will listen. Too many vanishing species, not enough canaries....

7. yousatonmycactus

Take a week and camp along the Big Sur coast.

8. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Hope your tour was well attended!

I'll visit Lotusland's site to see when they have it displayed. And I've Googled Wollemi sooooo much, including their wonderful image pages. Even Flickr.com has lots of great pics from proud Wollemi owners. Imagine a lucky participant receiving a Wollemi as a door prize!!! Wow. I hope to join the W. owner's list myself this year, and have its pot already selected.

I will indeed place Medicine Man on my list. Thank you.