Germinating?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by OREGATO, Jan 31, 2008.

1. OREGATO

OREGATO Member

Hi guys, just another question for yous.

i have recently attempted to prune back a few branches from my clementine tree and was wondering is it possible to germinate these and grow new trees from these branches, sorry if this is completely obsurd and ridculous, but is it possible? i've put two of the branches into soil and a little pot and have watered them in the slight hope that something might happen, am i wasting my time? is this possible?
    as i said, i'm quite new to the whole growing of plants and am still learning so please be kind :/

any help would be great. thanks

William

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Yes it is possible to root them-- place to rooted cutting in an environment that will probide near 100% humidity (plastic bag, or put a soda bottle over the cutting).

I should also tell you that if the clemintine was grown from seed it will not be true, but if it was a grafted tree you will have a true clementine.

Skeet

3. OREGATO

OREGATO Member

should i place the rooted cutting into moss yet or should i leave it bare when i do tis? how long should i leave it for?
    any other tips?

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Yes, any sterile media will do. You could also use a rooting hormone.

5. OREGATO

OREGATO Member

what is a sterile media? and what is a rooting hormone? sorry for sounding stupid, but i really am new to this!

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Most potting soils are sterilized. Rooting hormone can be purchased at most garden centers--they are plant hormones that stimulate root growth.