Germinating Ficus kerkhovenii

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Kenneth Liang, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Kenneth Liang

Kenneth Liang Member

Hi, I am from Singapore, an amateur tree enthusiast. One of the most beautiful trees on our island is the Johore Fig (Ficus kerkhovenii), a banyan. It's one of those banyans with a central trunk with branches that stretch outwards forever. My grandchildren picked up some of its orange figs recently and I'd love to know how I can germinate them. Perhaps they would take to propogation by cuttings better?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

Propagating the tree by cuttings will give you an exact copy of the original tree and will be a much faster way to start the tree.

Ficus seed is very small so you will need to carefully extract the seed from the figs your grandchildren collected. If I remember correctly, ficus seed requires light to germinate, so just sow the seed on the surface of the germination medium.

It's always fun to grow trees from seed since none of the seedlings will be exactly alike; you might even get a variegated seedling.
    Good luck,
    Mike

3. onlyone

onlyone Member

Hello dear

The simplest way to propagate Ficus is by stem cutting it may needs between 30-40
    days to give roots you may also use some indols to enhance the roots

4. DanBoy

DanBoy Member

Inver Grove Heights Minnesota, United States.
    The best way to propogate any sort of fig (in my opinion) is by cutting. But if you want variation that you will want to germinate those seeds like treelover said.