geranium

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jreidsma, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I have had a geranium pinto blush for 3 years and I dont know how long they are supposed to live. It is just the regular type you can buy at greenhouses and stores. I heard they are only supposed to live one growing season. Its around a foot tall and makes a foot long flower stalk thing with flowers ontop also it is in my kitchen. Sorry some of the pictures are tinted yellow or orange my camera is just having problems all the time now. It is starting to flower out now but the whole flower ball hasint opened up yet.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've never found geraniums (actually, Pelargoniums) to be annual - however, if you leave them in the ground over the winter, that's how they'll behave. If you're growing it as a houseplant, it will live at least 2 years if not more so long as you take good care of it.

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I have an aunt in her 90's now who has always overwintered her geraniums, pulling them from the ground, hanging them up to store in the basement, then pruning and planting in spring. She gets many years, perhaps 5-7, from each initial plant, more if you count rooted prunings.

I was complaining this fall that one of my geraniums died after three years of nearly continuous blooming, in a pot, outdoors year round. Its pot mates are still going, as is the replacement, despite the temps below freezing of the last two nights here.

It's a sign you're doing something right, eh?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I have had it in this pot for its whole life. I just put new potting soil in it every once and a while. It hasint been outside the whole time I have had it and it flowers constantly all year no matter how bad it is outside. So it might live to be 7+ years old thats great maby I can get seeds off of it. It has seeds every time it flowers they are tiny little things I just never thought to plant them.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here they they are a super hardy outdoor plant One of mine has been growing for 20+ years from the same plant. I would be inclined to let it outdoors when safe (cold weather). They don't like cold or too wet. However if you do get it to early summer put it in a sheltered spot so it can harden up. It's looking very soft at the moment. Here they are good plants for drought conditions and hot weather. I often prune them up for winter but some times just forget then too. My climbers are rampant on the paddock fence and have been there about 10 yrs. Some grow these as hanging baskets.

Liz