Garden for viewing from above

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sabaf, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sabaf

sabaf Active Member

This is a planting-design related question, so my apologies in advance if it's in the wrong section.

I am designing a garden that will mainly be viewed from a 3rd story balcony, as such I want to create swooshes and curves with a variety of planting textures. The site is south facing, gets full sun, and elevation is 175' above sea level. We are also only about 500 ft away from the Burrard Inlet. There are sandy and relatively shallow soils with excellent drainage. There are numerous existing California lilacs (Ceanothus 'Victoria') on the perimeter of the garden.

With numerous constraints, namely requests for little to no deciduous plants, few perennials (i.e.: mainly evergreen shrubs, to avoid "holes in the winter"), no trees (not to block their ocean view) and no colour red, I have narrowed my plant palette to a 4 choices.

My question is what other "pairings" might people suggest to go with my choices? I am going for a Mediterranean/California feel, and keeping in mind interesting contrasting textures since it will be viewed from above.

My choices are based on using fine textured plants (such as Hebe topiaria and/or Hebe odora 'New Zealand Gold' and Salix purpurea 'Nana') and bolder, larger textured plants to contrast (such as Yucca species; Mahonia x media).

So what are good pairings for these 4? I like to think if I can find plants that grow with either Hebe or with Yucca readily in nurseries here, that would be the best...but what are some more common landscape shrubs that come to mind?

Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd leave out the willow as that is a moisture-loving deciduous shrub that can get bigger than expected and the Mahonia may not like the site conditions. A good companion for the Ceanothus could be Choisya ternata. Otherwise if you are going for Mediterranean feel than why not use Mediterranean shrubs such as lavender, rock roses, rosemary...? California shrubs seen at outlets here include (along with ceanothus) flannel bush (large-growing), manzanita and tree anemone.

I wouldn't make it too busy as it will be competing with attention for the view beyond. Also if this is a clearly defined and not large rectilinear space a bunch of curves will not jibe with the squareness of the perimeter.

3. sabaf

sabaf Active Member

Thank you for those suggestions, Ron. Very helpful!