Fuscia Puff Flower? Help Identify - Fuscia cottonball Star Trek flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by katLW, Sep 1, 2008.

1. katLW

katLW Member

Fuchsia Puff Flower? Help Identify - Fuchsia cottonball Star Trek flower

These flowers are small (about the size of a quarter), bright fuchsia and puff-ball shaped that grow on a bushy plant about 2-3 feet tall. The plant has a lot of these puffy flowers all over it. The flowers almost look like clover flowers (but they're not close to the ground) or little fuchsia beehives, or daisies with no petals, or even raspberry-shaped flowers, but they're soft and puffy. The color of the flower is a very bright, deep fuchsia and the plant has many green stems and leaves. I don't know if most people would consider the color of the flower pink or purple - that's why I went with fuchsia. I'm aware one of the pictures is very blurry. I only included it for the color. The more focused pictures don't seem to show the true color. It's pretty and seems unusual to me as I have only seen it once in someone's garden in NJ. What is this called? I searched the internet for a while and gave up - I couldn't find it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Gomphrena globosa

3. andreanum

andreanum Member

Right answer, Lila Pereszke!

When I was a little kid we have this plant along the hillside road behind my house. People in Sulawesi and Sumatera Islands call it Bunga Knop (Button Flower). Javanese call it Bunga Kancing (Kancing is the Indonesian word for button or knop).

As I am now living in Jakarta, I have to buy this flower from a vendor at US$ 0.6/pot.
    My mom would have laughed at me for BUYING this 'wild' flower.

4. katLW

katLW Member

Thank you so much Lila Pereszke! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

5. katLW

katLW Member

Hello andreanum, thank you for your contribution too. It seems funny to me that these grew wild along the hillside of your house as a child. The Gomphrena globosa/Bunga Knop/Bunga Kancing/Button Flower is new to me. As I mentioned before, I've only seen it once in someone's garden in New Jersey. My next adventure will be trying to grow them in my own yard.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note that it's spelled "fuchsia", you can go back and change the spelling in your post if you like.

7. mademoiselle

mademoiselle Member

i also bought that flower yesterday, but i have no idea how to take care of it.. can u please explain how to? well, i live in jakarta which is having tropical climate... thx b4...