Furry Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jul 23, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Can anyone give me a great source to find ID's for 'furry' mushrooms and fungi. Lately I've been finding some yellow and golden colored mushrooms that look/feel furry. They do not look like Pholiotas that I've seen. Even a simple list of names would help me to figure some out I'm sure.
    Thanx!

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Interesting - I think this is "outside of the box" thinking identification-wise :-).
    I've seen guides that sort by colour and overall morphology, but so far not by surface texture. You could try the Matchmaker program online, and choose the various furry-type options in the menus for cap and stem surface descriptors.

Aside from that, the genera & groups which come to mind right now, which contain species with mushrooms that have significant velvety or hairy surfaces include Pholiota (alaskan gold), Inocybe ("fiberhead"), boletes (eg Zeller's), Cystoderma, Gomphus (scaly chanterelle), Chroogomphus (wooly pine spike) ... ummm... that's all that can think of right now

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

good suggestion and great names to check out....i'll let u know if any of those pan out for me. thanx again Frog for u'r help!