Fungus gnats in compost

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by vegetable patch, Jul 3, 2020.

1. vegetable patch

vegetable patch New Member

I'm putting in a greenhouse for growing vegetables. Cold hearty vegetables in the winter, using the approach Eliot Coleman described in his book, heat loving vegetables in the summer, and everything in between in the spring and fall. I just received a load of compost that I am putting in as the growing medium. I notice a large amount of tiny flies that fly up from the compost when I dig into it.

Based on an internet search, I'm guessing they are fungus gnats. But if you think it might be something else, let me know.

I gather that fungus gnats won't do any harm to the vegetables, but I think working in the closed environment of a greenhouse with clouds of the little beasts flying around me will not be too pleasant. Any suggestions for dealing with them?

I haven't started growing anything yet. If I let the soil dry out for a couple of weeks would that kill the larvae in the soil?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon @vegetable patch, I do not know what flys you have in your compost, but your description does sound like fungus gnats.
    For nearly all soil or compost borne pests I use Nematodes and if it is Fungus gnats then nematodes will kill the larvae naturally.
    Just follow the instructions on the packet ensuring the temperature is right and very soon the gnats will be gone.
    No harm to humans at all by the way if you are wondering about your vegetables you are going to grow.
    The fungus gnat larvae can and will eat the roots of whatever you plant in that compost.