Appreciation: Fungi on Ruxton Island.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Keith Elliott, May 28, 2021.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

While I have been gone from the island for some 7 years, I do have quite a number of photos from that time. I don't have any idea what they might be named, but perhaps they may be of interest to you if you are interested in that subject. I will continue to post photos as I find them.

IMG_6156.JPG IMG_6154.JPG IMG_7788.JPG IMG_1735.JPG IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1417.JPG

allelopath and Acerholic like this.
  2. Keith Elliott

A few more here.....

IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1762.JPG IMG_1709.JPG IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1607.JPG IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1596.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Found a few more, this first one looks interesting...

IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1573.JPG

4. Keith Elliott

Getting to the end here.....

IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1523.JPG IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Keith Elliott

I think this is all I have. The rest are so badly pixelated as to be unrecognizable.

IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1572.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

What a fantastic contribution to the fungi forum Keith. Not easy to ID, but I'm sure someone @Frog on the forum will do so very soon.

Frog and Keith Elliott like this.
  7. Keith Elliott

Good afternoon D. What I know about fungi you could fit on the head of a pin and have all kinds of room left over.

The physics/astronomy professor at the University in Nanaimo, Dr. William Weller, was an expert on these things. Occasionally, I would take him over a paper bag full to play with. I never had the courage to eat any of them, but apparently there were Chanterelles on Ruxton, although I don't know if I ever found any.

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Keith, the second photo in the fourth set shows a Chaterelle; and the first photo in the second set has a Lobster Mushroom, another decent edible. The mushrooms on the left side of the first photo in the second row of the second set might be Wood Blewits, but I wouldn't trust an ID based on that photo only. If you really want someone to identify mushrooms, it is best to present only one type in each post and provide views of the top and bottom of the cap and the stem. Often a spore print is required for a good ID.

Frog, Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  9. Keith Elliott

Many thanks for your reply vitog. I'm not able to provide any additional or better photos, as these were taken some 10 years or so ago. But should I ever find the need in future, I shall certainly do my best to get much better pictures.

Given that you mention the Chanterelle above, it just goes to show you how little I know about mushrooms!

I remember one year when we had some monstrous mushrooms growing there, and If I recall correctly, one of them was 17" across. The only place that might appear would be on the DIY site that I used to frequent. All my photos on my laptop suffered a deadly fate known as corrosion. Nothing was recoverable.

10. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I think that goes for a lot of people Keith, so I think that @vitog posting is very apt on idehtification. But as you are not going back to Ruxton Island, the photos you do have will have to do.
    But ID of fungi that might be for the dinner table as you realise, is Sooooo important. It is not something one should ever take a guess at tbh.
    D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  11. Keith Elliott

And that is precisely why I didn't eat any of the mushrooms that I saw there! A case where a little knowledge might be a dangerous thing.

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings @Keith Elliott & thanks for sharing your fungal finds,
    As @vitog mentioned, more details and photo angles are needed, and 1 per post makes for a better/clearer discussion of each find.
    As well as ones already mentioned, I see some Gymnopilus, Hypholoma, Russula, Suillus, and others.
    :-)
    frog

Keith Elliott likes this.
  13. Keith Elliott

Wow! I am duly impressed by your obvious knowledge. But, as mentioned earlier, these photos are a number of years old, and there's no chance that I would ever be able to get any more. However, should I start to find some up here at Anglemont, you may be certain that I will be following your guidelines.

And thank you indeed for enlightening me somewhat.

Frog likes this.