Full Member List and Member Search

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Apparently the full member list is hidden by default. Sorting issue aside, isn't it then just a case of making it visible?
    Do we really want to reactivate the list? Found this in link to release notes for XF 1.2 in the latter thread above:

The add-on [RAID101.com] Member List Manager enables sorting by selected criteria. However it appears to have some issues, judging by the comments in the discussion area.

I wonder if a full member list is necessary if its primary purpose is for locating a member. Wouldn't an improved member search function be the better solution? The following add-ons may be worth looking into:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes, and we want xenForo to do it. So "Like" the suggestions on their forum, or post supporting comments, to
    1 - make it a system option to specify how inactive the members should be to be included in a search (currently people not seen for 6 months are not returned on a search), and
    2 - provide a means to show all the matches, not just the first nine. Here is one of the threads:
    Posted by Member - drop down should show all members

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of these quirks of the search function. How is any user supposed to know of such things? I don't think it's good for the software to make assumptions on the search criteria without informing the user.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I fully agree!

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, don't leave me a lone voice over on the xenForo forum. And it's the two issues - option for how inactive to display, and a means to see the next group of matches.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, thanks for finding that. So, yes, I can re-enable the full list, but maybe that should wait until I resolve the image-display issue -- I don't want to add a particularly notable performance hit and possibly compound a problem.