Fuchsia Triphylla 'Thalia' hardiness

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by donnacanadensis, Nov 24, 2005.

1. donnacanadensis

donnacanadensis Member

I rescued several Fuchsia 'Thalia' plants from a pile of garbage - the owner is "redesigning" the garden. They are in mint condition and I'd like to keep them and incorporate them into my garden both in the city (Vancouver) and into my west coast Vancouver island garden. How hardy are they? How should I overwinter them?

Thank you in advance for the advice which I am sure will come in spades.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fuchsia triphylla is rated [Zone] 10 in Thomas, PERENNIAL GARDEN PLANTS. I think here if the winter is mild it comes back somewhat feebly. About 'Thalia' specifically Phillips & Rix, INDOOR & GREENHOUSE PLANTS VOLUME 2 say "Very susceptible to frost and drought".

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Donna--I find the triphylla fuschias the most attractive, and by far the most frost sensitive.

Pretty well all of the fuschia varieties die to the ground but come back even with the cold January's we've had the last couple, but plants with triphylla parentage like Gartenmeister and Insolinde seem to inevitably die without protection.

An old gardening friend used to bury his quite deeply (laid on their sides in the case of the standards) and cover with peat, very successful and cheaper than running a frost free greenhouse all winter. Otherwise, they must be kept pretty well frost free till spring.

Glen

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One I have flowering outdoors right now in a large clay pot, as part of a combination planting may be this cultivar. It did overwinter this time, is now about 2' tall. I didn't expect it to come through, wouldn't count on yours doing so on a regular basis either.