Fuchsia ID & placement help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ersh99, May 18, 2017.

1. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

Hi-

Does anyone know what kind of Fuchsia this might be, possibly is this a Fuchsia magellanica?

I am located in Seattle. I am in the process of relocating this plant in a very small backyard setting and would appreciate advice! I have open spots in a couple of places:

North of a very large Rhodie, it would be pretty shady here but maybe would receive a bit of sun. I also have a spot where it would receive late day sun up against the house. I am hesitant of this location since I have read late afternoon sun is not the best for a Fuchsia. Lastly, if I could pot it up I would have better otpions on my patio where it can receive any sun it likes!

thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Fuschia magellanica 'Hawkshead' may be another possibility.

4. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

Thank you!! any ideas on if this plant can be potted up?

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

You can grow them in large pots. They are a bit more tender that way. I have one in a pot. After a harsh winter, it did not seem to come back, although the ones in the ground grew as normal. I planted something else into the pot. I found the fuchsia regrowing the following year. There must have been a small shoot the season before, but probably obscured by the new plant I had added.

6. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

Thanks Eric! This one has been in the ground for some time, do you think that it would be too hard of a transition going from ground life to a pot? If not, would you think a shadier or sunnier position would be best? Unfortunately space is so limited I only have a shady spot (maybe morning sun) or a spot with afternoon sun.

Any input much appreciated! : )

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't have experience with moving them. My gut feeling is that it will not like to be moved no matter where you put it. It is large and probably has a lot of roots. Might be better to propagate by cuttings. Then you would have small manageable plants. The shady spot sounds better.

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Late last fall, I moved two hardy fuchsia hybrids ("Double Otto" was one) by just cutting off a rooted stem from each plant and replanting the stems in another area. Both of these stems died back to ground level, which is typical during most winters here, but have now sprouted and are growing slowly. So transplanting hardy fuchsias is probably not difficult and provides an opportunity to propagate them, if desired.

9. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Moving any large shrub which is in full leaf, in spring or summer is VERY different from doing it in the fall /winter when the plant is going to loose all the leaves anyway and go dormant for the winter.

10. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

Thanks for al your input!

Sure, of course, I would move it in the fall! Just wondering the best choice as to where to move it. Shade, afternoon sun or in a pot where I can place it in its ultimate microclimate!?

11. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

My fuchsias are doing well in a bed around the trunk of a fruit tree pruned to keep all branches above head height; so they don't get much sun when the tree is in full foliage. According to what I've read on the Web, any location from full sun to partial shade should work in coastal Pacific Northwest. Mulching to reduce frost penetration will ensure survival during the occasional winter cold spell.

12. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

thank you all for your help!!