Fruit/Veggie ?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Harry Homeowner, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

Can I literally put like a entire apple, tomato, etc that is starting to rot in my garden? Like maybe dig a small hole and put the apple in it. Or does it really need to be composted like in a compost pile? I want to start a compost pile but haven't got around to it, I am hoping the Spring I will finally do it.

Thanks.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've done it before, with no real ill effects so long as you till (mix up) the dirt in the spring.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wharf rats like fruit, possibly these might sometimes get into shallowly buried apples that aren't too far gone. I don't know. Being in Washington you are probably close enough to salt water to have wharf rats occurring there.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Oh, right, rats. I was doing this in Northern Canada, which is lacking in vermin such as those.

5. Pharmerphil

Pharmerphil Member

a few whole items such as fruit, vegetables is fine; however, if the items you place in the garden, do not have the time to decompose fully, they well draw nitrogen from the soil to break down.
    leaching it from your plants.
    I'm not talking about a few apples or whatever, but be cautious as to the amounts.

6. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

hi .. i used to collect my kitchen waste in a milk carton and then dig holes in the bed outside my front door and bury the compost .. by the time i was ready to plant, voila, all decomposed .. a great alternative to a compost pile ..