Fruit Trees for Apartment Dwellers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Mooudn, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Mooudn

Mooudn New Member

Hi all,

I have an east exposure balcony and I'm hoping to grow some container fruit trees in it. What type of trees/dwarf trees would do well with an east facing exposure as well as being contained in a pot.

I was thinking that figs might be a good choice and someone at a nursery suggested a columnar apple tree today. Any suggestions?

Also are there nurseries in BC (close ish to Vancouver) that sell "organic" fruit trees?

Cheers

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This sounds like a good project, but you will have to make careful choices of plants to have success. Fruiting trees require a certain amount of sunlight each day for success and I would worry that an eastern exposure may not be enough light for some plants. You will need at least 6 hours of sunlight to produce good fruit on most trees. You will want to find very dwarf varieties or consider shrubs. Blueberries would probably be one of the easier things to grow on a balcony.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think I would firstly ascertain In writing exactly what your building rules and regulations are (strata and/or lease etc)

As well as structural limits which are likely also part of strata rules

How do you water your plants in containers?

Yes, I agree w prev post - east face and sea breezes etc -

Do you have urban wildlife who enjoy fruit? In the suburban / rural areas, bears raccoons rats and crows (seagulls too) commonly share garden produce and your neighbors might not be keen

How about look in to a farm co-op for tree fruits — fruit trees are a lot of work and care (even tho I am Okanagan w space to plant, i do not have fruit trees because local govt bylaws require certain standard of care and spray for disease control etc - lots of old orchards (that haven’t been ripped out for wine grapes) will give us a box of apples in trade for ... (name a chore!)

You could perhaps be a farmer on your deck w Swiss chard year round and some strawberries? Or how about quick crop lettuce mix? And some parsley and basil

For chard and lettuce - I esp like the seeds from WestCoast in Ladner BC (I am not associated in any way other than buying seeds)

Is there a community garden in your neighborhood?

4. Mooudn

Mooudn New Member

Im on the 13th floor so no issues with attracting animals other than bees and other insects. but good point about condo by laws..I will look into that.

I'm drawn to the idea of owning a blacony fig tree for some reason but blueberry/strawberry shrubs might be a better alternative given my space limitations. And you can grow swiss chard year round? what about frost?

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Avocado
    Feijoa
    Fig
    Kiwi
    Kumquat
    Lemon
    Lime
    Mandarin
    Olive
    Orange
    Pomegranate
    Soursop

Choose according to your taste.

Acerholic and Nik like this.
  6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Jujube
    Passionfruit

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Tere hommikust Sulev, need oleksid ka minu valikud. Ideaalne nimekiri, mille vahel valida. Loodan, et minu tõlge, mida proovin teha, toimis. Ikka ja jälle on tore, et mitte-inglise keelt kõnelev emakeel saab vastuse oma emakeeles.
    D

8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Acerholic likes this.
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would think issues with birds, and they can make a very disgusting mess on a balcony. In my building, people are not allowed to just put up netting or enclose their balcony without a permit, and it has been a big issue. The pigeons that used to plague me went to other units after our building envelop was repaired and all our plants had to be removed for about a year. Also, not travelling for even two weeks has helped - that was the period I was away when the worst defilement was done.

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Very good point Wendy, you should see Trafalgar Square!!!