Fruit trees - 100 Mile House area

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tosh, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tosh

tosh Active Member

Do you know what type of fruit trees grow in 100 mile house area? We're moving there soon!!!

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Re: Fast Growing Tree - 100 Mile House area

Apples, crabapples, saskatoons, sour cherries, apricots (selected varieties), plums, blueberries, cranberries and probably a few more.

3. tosh

tosh Active Member

Thanks , do you know what agriculture or hardiness zone it is ? I see apricots on your list but not peaches???

4. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

Maybe in a pot. In a greenhouse. Maybe a heated greenhouse? Check out varieties of dwarf peaches, you never know. 100 mile has a higher elevation than Quesnel. I would think peaches would need shelter from prevailing cold winds. Good luck!

5. tosh

tosh Active Member

Hi
    Thanks for the tip I'd never have thought of potted trees.I guess they could go into the garage in the winter.

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Apricots are more closely related to plums and are from similarly cold regions. There are Apricot varieties that will fruit up into zone 3.

Peaches are more related to Almonds and are from distinctly warmer climates. While the trees may survive zone 5, the flowerbuds usually require zone 6 or warmer.