Frostbitten cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by kukkonka, Apr 1, 2009.

1. kukkonka

kukkonka Member

I inherited a cactus from my grandfather and for a few years it was doing well until I left town and a frost came. The cactus was brought inside but it was too late. In the following days the shoots began to soften. Now most of them are dead at the roots. But as with the past two summers a flower is beginning to form on the largest shoot but I just noticed it now. It's the most beautiful flower I've ever seen and I'd be terribly sad if I couldn't save it somehow although serious surgery would be required since I've waited too long. I'm looking to consult a local expert. If anyone has any suggestions as to how this plant can be salvaged I'd appreciate their help.

Regards,
    kukkonka

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

that's an easter cactus...one of the schlumbergia (sp?) i believe (could be wrong, there are three things that are very similar and all have different names). it's not really a cactus. it's an succulent epiphyte (grows on trees in the jungle).

it's a shame it got cold. they DO have beautiful flowers, don't they!!

you can salvage it, even with the damage. cut off above where there is soft/mushy or plain dead stuff. make sure you just have good/heathly stuff - remove anything that has any rot. let the cut pieces callous over for a week or so and then pot them up and allow to sit in the dry soil for a week and then water.

should be using a very well-draining medium. i use a mix of orchid soil (which is mostly bark chips) and some regular soil and perlite for extra drainage.

3. kukkonka

kukkonka Member

That's great news. I'll give it a try since I can't imagine anything else would work.
    Thanks for your reply.
    regards
    Kukkonka

4. CarlosF

CarlosF Member

Just a comment about identification as treatment is correct.
    It's neither Schlumbergera nor Hatiora species. This two genus and your plant, surely Disocactus ackermannii, are cacti.
    As they grow in tropical forests they hate cold and need temperatures above 10-15 ºC to live.

Regards

Carlos

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i really do love this place!!!! i always learn something!!

carlos, thank you for correcting the id!!

the lowest temp for any of them, and yours specifically, is 50 and that shouldn't be for any length of time...so, aim for nothing lower than 60 and unexpected chilly nights (while it's outside for the summer) won't be an issue.

i make a point of moving plants outside (and back inside) during the periods of time that neither the heat nor the a/c are on and i have the windows open...so the temps are about the same inside and out. that makes for a much easier transition for the plants because they only have to stress over the different lighting conditions not that plus the difference in air temp.

6. kukkonka

kukkonka Member

Yes! It really is a great place. I know so little about cacti and plants in general but I do like to have them around. I'll be checking back for tips here often as my plan is to get a proper balcony set up in my flat.
    As for the cactus, if I can revive it, I'll be much more careful next time.

regards,
    K