Frost warnings-Is a greenhouse the answer?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Dec 20, 2006.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I brought all my succulents indoors to protect them from the frost warnings we were having. The temperatures are staying in the 30's at night and in the 50's in the daytime. Do I keep them indoors now all the time? Do I put them out in the daytime and then haul them all in during the night? What about a greenhouse? Any recommendations on setting up a greenhouse for them outside.

2. Wask

Wask Active Member

Hey there, I suppose it depends on the type of succulent. I live in zone 8 and keep all my Agaves and Echeverias outside in an unheated ,southfacing greenhouse all winter(unless we get freakishly cold weather!) The important thing is to keep them dry. Aloes, Aeonium, Kalanchoe and my Jades come inside for the winter and get as much light as possible. This works for me very well. Hope this helps!

KirstyP likes this.
  3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I have several Aeonium, Echeveria, Crassula (including Jade), Kalanchoe. What do you call freakishly cold weather? I am in Zone 9 and we are getting weather a lot colder than usual. Lots of frost advisories in the last two weeks. I was carting all my plants out in the sun in the daytime and then bringing them all back in at night until we got rain too. They've been inside ever since it rained and we had lows of 30 degrees F. I hate carting them back and forth (I have 40 succulents). Any recommendations on a greenhouse? Did you build your own, or can you recommend a ready-made one?

4. Wask

Wask Active Member

I would consider 20 degrees F or less freakish for here. Allthough I wouldn't expose the Echeverias to freezing weather for long, if at all. We had freezing weather (in the teens at it's lowest) a couple of weeks ago and I brought them in till it warmed up, a week later. They're back out now. Taking 40 plants in and out everyday must be a pain...I have about 75-80 succulents of which 25 are Echeverias...I make my own temporary greenhouse every year with heavy-duty plastic, and 2x2 lumber, it's cheap and it keeps them dry and frost free. In the spring I tear it down and plant my tomatoes there. Your 50 degree daytime temps sound great! I'd kill for that!