Frost on the Rumex

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by wrygrass2, Dec 18, 2005.

1. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

So when does winter actually start? This was taken in a field of weeds on the West Plains near Spokane, WA on December 17, 2005. Temperature mid to high 20'sF (-4C to -1C). The tall weeds are Rumex crispus and the the small dots of tan are probably one of the Centaurea, most probably C. diffusa, but perhaps C. maculosa as I found both growing there in warmer times. Could also be some of the weedy introduced epilobium in the picture. On this day I didn't take too much time to try and identify which noxious weeds were there. In other parts of this field I have found a great many native plants such as Mariposa tulips and Owl Clover but this is the best that this part of the field has ever looked I think. Perhaps the title to this thread should have been, every dog has his day.

Harry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You sure on that??

At 25 to 30°C, frost would melt very quickly. Or is the white stuff some other deposit?

3. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Perhaps it was a bit colder. Didn't have a thermometer with me. :) Was going by a reader sign on the highway which are famously innacurate. The sign said 28F(-2C), but I wouldn't be surprised at an error of +- 5F degrees. Pretty sure it was frost in any case, as it was bare the week prior and we have had little or no precip with a lot of freezing fog in that time. We have had low twenties (-4C)for highs and single digits to mid teens (-12C to -9C) for lows most of the week.

We are talking Fahrenheit here, right? I didn't have a convenient Celsius conversion formulae at the time I wrote the above but figured one out since. The mid to high 20'sF would be about a -4C to -1C approximately. Give me a break. It was late. Besides that it's a bit cold for my comfort level. All the while, my 83 year old uncle keeps saying it isn't cold until it hits -15F or -26C. :) They are talking about it getting warmer than freezing here the next few days, but that might just be wishing hopefully on the part of the weather casters. Will appreciate it if it gets there though. Hope everyone who lives in the cold climes is able to keep warm this winter. Harry

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  4. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

I have to agree that it was the coldest day so far for the foothills of the Puget Sound area. We were at 17 degrees F this morning. That is cold. And every weed has it's day.